Pizza is delicious, we all know this. Even the pickiest eaters can't find anything wrong with eating pizza. Pizza has been an Americanized meal that we eat or want to eat every week. But, there are healthy ways to eat pizza, and then there are not so healthy ways to eat pizza. Ordering takeout or a delivery pizza from large chain pizza companies is not so healthy. Those pizzas taste very delicious, but are usually filled with large amounts of salt and lack nutritious vegetables and unprocessed ingredients.
I want you to eat pizza more often, but in a much healthier and simple way. It's called...make your own pizza! Here are some tips to build a simple, healthy and of course delicious pizza for yourself, family or friends! My husband and I do this once a week. You won't be disappointed!
1. Choose a crust that is convenient and tasty for you. I use either Brooklyn Bred Ancient Grains pizza crust or whole wheat Naan, because it's healthy, easy to use, and the taste is amazing. But there are many other options such as, whole wheat crust, whole grain tortillas, pitas or even buying whole wheat dough. Some even make a cauliflower crust. But, for me I like something easier and simpler.
2. Choose healthy and creamy cheeses such as mozzarella, ricotta, goat or feta cheese. These cheeses all have a creamy texture that really add to making a great tasting pizza. And using a little goes a long way!
3. Choose and chop fresh vegetables to add to your pizza. Even if you don't like the taste of kale or spinach, chop it into small pieces, and you won't even notice the taste on your pizza. I am a vegetable queen, so I always load my pizzas with veggies such as red onion, kale, roasted butternut squash, spinach, and broccoli.
4. Choose lean proteins to add to your pizza. I enjoy the taste of turkey and chicken sausage on my pizza. Sometimes I even add left-over taco meat or hot-sauced chicken, yum!
5. Choose a tomato sauce with less ingredients or brush an Extra Virgin Olive Oil base to your pizza. When choosing a tomato marinara sauce, look for one that has fewer ingredients. To make your own olive oil base just mix in a small bowl about 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, minced, 2 tsp of Italian Seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
6. Add seasonings or fresh herbs for great flavor! Fresh garlic, basil, oregano, and parsley are all great additions to pizzas. If I don't have fresh herbs on hand, I use Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. I like it a bit spicy.
I hope these 6 tips will persuade you to put the phone down on ordering pizza, and to create your own delicious pizza masterpiece. Be creative, have fun and share your creations with others!
Check out one of my favorite delicious pizza recipes here!
Always craving good food,