Cheese enchiladas was one of my ALL time favorite meals to order out as a kid. Cheese, cheese and more cheese please! Unfortunately, that was when I knew nothing about nutrition and what my body needed to perform at its' best. Enchiladas served in most Mexican restaurants near me are not the healthiest, because they usually contain TONS of cheese, little meat, and absolutely no vegetables. Also, I admit that I have become quite the food snob since I began cooking most of my meals. I tend to be judgmental when a meal doesn't have at least one fresh healthy vegetable option. I need vegetables people!!
So, if you are like me, an all-time enchilada lover, a health-conscious individual, but a slight food snob, then this recipe is just the ticket! If you aren't any of those things, then you should still try it anyways :).
You're going to go absolutely crazy for the flavor that the Chorizo adds to this dish! Also, did I mention there is a Lime Cilantro Yogurt-Cream topping too? Yummm!
Chicken Chorizo Enchilada Casserole
with a Cilantro Lime Yogurt-Cream
Lime Cilantro Yogurt-Cream
1. In a large pan on medium heat, fry the chicken and Chorizo altogether until cooked, breaking the meat into smaller pieces. Drain the meat in a large colander and set aside. Save this pan though!
2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
3. In the same large pan you used for the meat, add in olive oil, garlic and shallots. Cook until fragrant or about 2 minutes.
4. Then, add crushed tomatoes and stir. Simmer this for mixture for about 10 minutes.
5. In a large mixing bowl, add the cooked meat, spinach, red onion, and peppers. Mix this gently altogether until combined thoroughly.
6. In a large casserole or baking dish, lay and cover the bottom of the dish with 2 tortillas. Add more tortillas if needed to fully cover the bottom of your baking dish.
7. Then, sprinkle some of the cheese on top, almost covering the tortillas completely. Save some cheese for 2 more layers!
8. Next, pour the meat mixture on top of the cheese and spread out evenly. Then, top with more cheese.
9. Lay 2 more tortillas to cover this cheese layer, or however many tortillas it takes you.
10. Pour and spread the warm tomato sauce mixture evenly on top of the tortillas.
11. Finally, sprinkle more cheese and add avocado slivers for presentation.
12. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
13. While enchiladas are baking, mix all ingredients for Lime Cilantro Yogurt-Cream in a medium size bowl.
14. Serve this deliciously cheesy enchilada casserole with a heaping dollop of that cool and refreshing lime yogurt-cream.
Have leftovers? Take this flavorful dish for your lunch meals for the week. Your coworkers will be jealous!
Always craving good food,