The food you eat can either be the safest and most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison.
When Nick and I first started our journey to a healthier lifestyle two years ago, we did something outrageous. We took a look at our pantry and fridge and decided to give it a healthy makeover. This meant that we trashed or donated anything that resembled processed foods. Bottled dressings, sauces, box pasta dishes, microwave dinners, pancake mix, packaged cookies, and chips. The list goes on and on of what random, processed and expired things we found in our kitchen.
Why did we both willingly decide to do this makeover?
We both educated ourselves (reading nutrition books and watching documentaries, like Food Matters) about the positive effects of putting good food into our bodies. Good food going into your bodies, means the better your body felt and performed, it all made sense. Needless to say, we have been living and eating this way since the day of our pantry makeover. The results of this makeover were shown in our high levels of happiness, energy, and above all, health!
6 Simple Steps to Give your Pantry a Healthy Makeover
1. Ingredients tell a story about your food. If your ingredient list reads of more than 5 ingredients or you can’t pronounce something that is in your food- toss it!
2. If any of your ingredients read “artificial flavors”- toss it!
3. If any of the ingredients listed contain artificial sweeteners from aspartame (like in Equal) to sucralose (like in Splenda) - toss it!
4. Refined sugars like table sugar- toss it!
5. If any of your foods have food dye in it, such as Red No. 40 or Yellow No. 5 or 6. -toss it!
6. "Low-fat” often means the fat is replaced with sugar - toss it! Stick to buying "whole" foods.
If there is one tip or piece of advice that I could give you to help guide your future grocery shopping adventures, it would be...
Buy as WHOLE as possible and choose foods with less than 5 ingredients or ingredients you can actually read and understand.
Healthy isn't complicated, make your life clean and simple :)
Always craving good food,