“Above all, be true to yourself, and if you cannot put your heart in it, take yourself out of it.” -Unknown
Finding your people is a continuous, evolving process because when you're growing, you're not the same human you were a day ago.
I took the time to write down exactly what attributes I value in my "kind of people," because I think we all know that
making friends, keeping friends, and letting go of friends can be a complex and somewhat challenging experience.
This simple exercise helped me paint a clear picture on how I define my “kind of people.” This list also helped simplify how I know when to connect to new humans and when to let go of friends.
Letting go of friends isn't a bad thing or a good thing, it's just the process of evolving into the human you want to be.
Two little mantras that help me with this process:
We have to let go in order to grow, and your relationships aren't dissolving, they're evolving.
Here's the list I made to "define" what I look for when finding my "kind of people."
my kind of people
1. Growth mindset (open to different perspectives and sees the value in mistakes)
2. Kind souls (the jerk store is closed)
3. Sense of humor (you gotta be able to laugh at yourself)
4. Flexible and nimble (for when the chaos arrives)
5. Puts in equal effort to stay connected
6. Authentic (vulnerability and weirdness? yes please!)
7. Uplifts and roots for others (complaints and gossip aren't my jam)
8. Lives in gratitude (appreciates the little things)
9. Inspires me to be better and do better (radiates that good energy)
10. Has some (not all) similar values and interests (i.e. good food and nature preferably)
If you want to hear more specifics about my experience on this topic (as well as my husband's), then check out our Simplified Khaos Podcast, Episode 135!
I hope this conversation (whether written form or podcast form) helps simplify the chaos around finding the “just right” community for you!
Grateful to feel supported by OUR KIND OF PEOPLE, even if we don't see them every day.
looking for something specific? search here!